Careers – Te Waka Huarahi
(Making a Difference)
Links to latest Careers newsletters:
Our Careers department shares the Te Waka Huarahi concept with Vocational Pathways which is to support students on their pathway to finding their future aspirations while preparing them for ongoing education or employment. We aim to provide students, their whanau and staff with up-to-date tertiary and training provider careers information, individual or group career guidance and workshops.
Our staff organise guest speakers from the universities nationwide, various trade companies and businesses, New Zealand Defence Forces, Agriculture Training Organisations, Tourism, Hospitality, Hotel Management and other organisations as requested by students, staff or providers.
We are also tasked with the responsibility of assisting our teaching staff to complement their classes with resources that will support careers education to be taught school wide.
Careers Information is made available through our daily notices, school newsletters, Facebook and our website. Other services include:
- Guest speakers to the school, industry based speakers or past students returning to school to show case their pathways post school;
- Career Assessing and Guidance with the Careers Advisor (whanau members are welcome to attend);
- Promoting and support with scholarship applications;
- Support to transition to further training and/or employment;
- Workshops on CV preparation, letters of application and interviewing skills and techniques;
- University and Tertiary Liaison visits;
- WhyOra Health Programme targeted to Senior Maori students;
- Spotswood College Careers Social media and promotion of careers information.
Our team welcome all enquiries from our Spotswood College community please contact:
Whaea Wendy Eynon – Careers Advisor – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Mitch Bradley – Careers Administrator – email@example.com
The following are links to websites to support independent career planning or transitioning
Careers New Zealand
Leaving School – A free guide to study and career options for high school students Years 11-13
Jetmag – Jobs, Education, Training
Real World Ready – A practical guide on leaving school, further study and/or employment
Scholarships, Grants and Awards
GivMe – Generosity New Zealand
The Database for nationwide scholarships is ONLY accessible through either the School Library or the Public Library
Careers – Spotswood College have partnered with the following providers who visit the school for careers presentations throughout the year. For current information please visit their respective websites.
The University of:
New Zealand Defence Forces