There appears to be an ongoing problem of head lice in our community – not just at school but in the wider community. Please check your son/s – daughter/s hair as we have had a courtesy phone call regarding head lice from a concerned parent.
To make a concentrated effort to remove head lice from your home some points to note from the Public Health nurse are:-
- Not EVERYONE in the house needs treating. EVERYONE needs to have their hair CHECKED, but they only need TREATING if they have VISIBLE lice or eggs.
- All bedding needs to be changed and washed at the same time as the treatment is done.
- The process needs to be repeated in seven days time.
- Everyone needs to comb their hair two or three times a day and it is a good idea to get your son/s or daughter/s in the habit of giving their hair a good brush every night (using their own brush) as this can prevent headlice by disabling eggs. Long hair tied back also helps prevent catching lice.
- Encourage the parents of your son/s – daughter/s friends to check that their children do not have headlice.
- Product is available from the Public Health Nurse.
- Please contact Naomi Brown at: cellphone: 027 281 6463 or